December 16, 2011

Y is for Abiyoyo

If you have never read the story Abiyoyo by Pete Seeger you're missing out! I was introduced to this story by my fellow Kindergarten Teachers years ago, and I instantly fell in love! It's based on a South African Lullaby, and the kids love it!

We listened to Pete Seeger sing/tell the story, we talked about the characters and what happened at the beginning, middle and end. 

Then, we ACTED IT OUT! What fantastic little actors I have!!
Look at the Drama!! HA! I love love love them!

 We illustrated the beginning, middle, and end of the story after we acted it out.....

Afternoon Actors:
What a FUN and exciting day!!

Children acquire many skills from acting out stories. Children’s oral language skills—vocabulary and narrative understanding—are enhanced. These skills are identified as key predictors in reading skills; they are the basis for comprehension. In addition, children learn about sequencing and story elements. 
~Faith Polk, Ph.D. Education Consultant