High Frequency words are so important for young readers to learn. If they can effortlessly read these words, then they can spend more time decoding the more tricky words that will come up in their reading. Knowing these high frequency words is also critical in developing fluency in reading. If also gives the kids confidence in themselves as they look at a book and instantly discover words they know! Since we started learning these words, I have heard numerous times, "Teacher! I found 'THE' in this book!!" with so much confidence and excitement, it just brings me so much joy to hear them!
Here they are on a WORD HUNT... I never knew how much fun these word hunts would be to them, but the kids love them! They say, "Teacher! They almost tricked me! I almost circled "eht" but I know it's really spelled "the"!!" I love it!! Such little smarties!!
We have been using the reading program called "Reading with Giggles and Games" which was designed by a kindergarten teacher here in our school district that has been SO great and SO fun for these kiddos in their early literacy stages!
We used Shared Writing time as a perfect opportunity to write our newly discovered word!
We also became "Word Detectives" and went on a hunt to find the word, "the" hidden in the books in our reading library!
It's amazing how much more fun reading can be when we:
1) see some of our 'Word Wall Words' in the books, and;
2) have a MAGNIFYING GLASS in hand!