November 1, 2011

All things Halloween!

Halloween Art!
The children made some GREAT HAUNTED HOUSES with watercolors! 
(it was our first time breaking out the watercolors this year-- and they did a fantastic job!)
 
See how great they look hanging up in the classroom?!!

MORE HALLOWEEN ART!
 The kids designed their own spooky designs and they got to use GLITTER this time! (another first for the year!) I LOVE the way they turned out!!
Here are a few samples: 
  

 Our BOOK OF HALLOWEEN COLORS
Yellow Moon, Yellow Moon, what do you see?
I see an Orange Pumpkin looking at me.
Orange Pumpkin, Orange Pumpkin, what do you see?
I see a Red Spider looking at me.
Red Spider, Red Spider, what do you see?
I see a Green Frog looking at me.
Green Frog, Green Frog, what do you see?
I see a Blue Witch looking at me.
Blue Witch, Blue Witch, what do you see?
I see a Purple Cat looking at me.
Purple Cat, Purple Cat, what do you see?
I see a White Ghost looking at me.
White Ghost, White Ghost, what do you see?
I see a Black Bat looking at me.
Black Bat, Black Bat, what do you see?
I see lots of Spooks, looking at me!

What GREAT illustrators I have!
This was their FAVORITE of all of our Halloween Celebrations! Any free time we had, the kids ran up to the Spooks Wall, and began singing the "Halloween Colors" song! It was such a fun way to review our colors and learn about illustrations! Also, the repetition of the poem/song helps Emergent Readers while decoding text! (added bonus!) 

On Halloween Day, we all came dressed up in our costumes! We made sure to document this day in our preschool journals! 
 We had 2 Buzz Lightyears heading to Infinity and Beyond!
 Look at all those CUTE kids!!

 Snack Time was spent decorating and devouring pumpkin cookies!

 After snack time, we brought out our Science Journals and compared the weight of a pumpkin with objects around the room!
We found out that we needed 80 counting bears to equal the weight of this pumpkin!! Who knew these preschoolers could count that high??!
 We only needed 12 blocks to equal the weight of 1 pumpkin! That's a lot LESS THAN the counting bears!
 Comparing our pumpkin with, counting bears, glue sticks, blocks, and even other pumpkins... WOW! The discoveries were endless!

Halloween FREEZE DANCE was a huge hit with these kiddos! You should see some of their moves!

GHOST MATH.... Sounds spooky... but it was really quite fun!
We never knew if we would have more ghosts land face up or face down!
Some of our friends were even able to create math sentences with their ghosts! WOW!

MORE GREAT COSTUMES!!
2 Captain Americas kept us SAFE on this Halloween!

 At the end of the day, we played a few games of Halloween Bingo and got to pick prizes from Mrs. Anna's Black Cauldron! What a GREAT Halloween Celebration!